If you were wondering what "Julie did next?" after cooking her
way through Julia Child's 'Mastering The Art Of French Cooking', this
book contains all the answers. Apparently she went on to master the art
of butchering by joining as an apprentice at a meat shop. Oh and before
that she decided to have an affair.
Anyone who has either seen or
read Julie & Julia would not believe that anything could disrupt the
domestic bliss of the much married and seemingly much-in-love Julie and
Eric. But Life has a different plan in mind and so Julie finds herself
with a passionate paramour. It is more to escape from the self-brought
on confusions and inner demons that pop up in her now complicated life,
that she decides to learn butchering. Whether it helps and whether she
manages to come to terms with herself forms the rest of the book.
'Cleaving',
A Story Of Meat, Marriage And Obsession or so it says, contains many
graphic and elaborate descriptions of slaughtering of live animals and
processing of dead ones. Being a non-vegetarian myself, I didn't find it
particularly repulsive although I did find it to be too much
information. Afterall I don't think I am ever going to gut a pig in my
life (I sincerely hope not!) So I found myself skimming over long
paragraphs of such unnecessary and not to mention gory details. I can
well understand if it makes some people squeamish too. I believe that
she meant to draw parallels between the going-ons in her life and all
the cutting, trimming and separating that she is doing, but frankly it
was a little boring to wade through all that stuff.
The style of
writing is pretty similar to her first book - light, colloquial and with
some self-deprecating humour as well as innumerable references to her
favourite show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Many of the central characters
of the previous book show up here too in addition to newer ones - which
is understandable as obviously she is writing about her own life.
Although 'Julie & Julia' had no recipes in it, this one has a
handful of them - but then I wasn't tempted to try any of them.
The
book doesn't really take any strong moral stand on infidelity - rather
it just deals with it in a matter of fact manner - chronicling things as
it happened. This implies that there isn't really much point to the
story or that I simply missed the point! So at no point of time did I
feel very involved in it - it did not move me in the least, nor could I
sympathize with any character in the book - be it the long-suffering
husband, the creepy and masochistic lover or Julie herself. It felt like
reading an impersonal list without a strong perspective. Sometimes it
just felt vague, meandering and mundane - but I admit that it is also an
honest and brave attempt. Although I enjoyed Julie & Julia a lot, I
must confess that Cleaving didn't quite match up to my expectations.
Anne John is a software engineer turned journalist. She works as a
freelance travel consultant for a travel planning website and as an
editorial assistant for an online magazine. She enjoys reading, writing
and traveling. For more reviews, interviews and a peek into the life and
times of a young Indian woman who has shifted careers to follow her
passions,
Labels: Biographies Memoirs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment